Lubricant functions and necessary engine oil knowledges for better Cummins engine operation
What’s the role of Lube oil?
Engine oil, engine lubricants, known as the engine “Blood”. There are many metal surfaces that rub against each other in the engine, which are running fast in poor environment with 400 ° C to 600 ° C operation temperature. While only the qualified lubricants can reduce the wear of the engine parts to extend the operation life. The main functions of lube oil are as below:
- Reduce the internal wear of the engine with better lubrication
- Clean the internal engine, take away the carbon and other impurities after combustion
- Improve the sealing, to prevent the corrosion of engine parts
- Improve the cooling efficiency, esp for the key components
- Absorb and reduce the engine internal vibration
Some other points about lubricants needed to be well known, apart from the functions.
About the loss of engine oil
When the piston is running, the piston ring will scrape off the excess oil on cylinder and coated with a uniform oil film on cylinder wall, to achieve its function of lubricating the piston, piston ring and cylinder. Meanwhile it result in few oil come into combustion chamber and consumed with the diesel combustion.
Valve and valve guide is also a pair of large heat load running part, and its lubrication is also from engine oil. Lubrication spreads through the valve oil seal, and the oil film on valve will be consumed. While the effective consumption of oil can effectively extend the life of the valve and valve guide.
To extend the lube oil service life, prevent too high crankcase pressure and reduce parts wear and corrosion, the engine designed crankcase ventilation. The engine oil steam due to high temperature will be discharged through the oil-gas separation device on valve chamber cover to have less oil consumption (that is the down-exhaust or exhaust gas).
What is the standard oil consumption?
There is a certain percentage between engine oil consumption and fuel consumption. According to the national standard “GB / T19055-2003”, engine oil / fuel consumption ratio shall not exceed 0.3% while under rated speed and full load.
Foton Cummins oil consumption standards, oil quality and fuel quality ratio cannot exceed 0.15%. ISG customer experience value should be less than 0.1%. (1000kg combustion takes 1kg engine oil consumption.
Foton Cummins ISG engine using Cummins patented filtration technology, the use of specific engine oil can achieve longer maintenance cycle. Oman heavy-duty truck ISG engine interval maintenance is 75,000 km / 12 months; standard interval maintenance is 100,000 km / 18 months.
How to reduce oil consumption properly?
- Use ISG engine dedicated lube oil, oil filter
- Use the original vehicle air filter, deputy plant air filter easily lead to early engine grinding and high oil consumption
- Check if the intake pipe securely connected, to avoid dust came in
- Check the engine valve room cover, oil pan, whether there is leakage for oil seal
Engine oil inspection and addition
- When check the engine, stop the vehicle at flat ground, make sure vehicle in cold state, recommend to check in morning before the engine started.
- Do not mix different brands engine oil, due to different brands oil prone to unpredictable chemical reactions with inconsistent formulations and lead to oil deterioration.
- Add engine oil “little but often”, too much oil not only speed up the oil consumption but also lead to engine weakness; low level oil will affect the engine as well. Recommend to keep the engine oil between the bottom line and center line.
- Avoid frequent rapid acceleration and long-term high-speed driving. Frequent rapid acceleration and braking will increase oil consumption, which will make more oil splash on the cylinder wall, result in residual oil film participate in the combustion and be consumed.
- Stay idle running for 3 to 5 minutes after started and long-distance downtime, to avoid turbocharger damage and cause larger oil consumption.
- Use standard diesel, low-grade diesel contains high sulfur and lead to rapid oil deterioration.
- Check the engine in service station ASAP, if you find that oil consumption is large.